Monday, March 5, 2012

My learning disruption and Clayton Christensen

Learning is fun and I like doing it.  Unfortunately I have had some wacky craziness in my life and have not been posting about my learning process.  This week I have been, and will be, playing catch up.  Today I read Dr. Burton's post about library 2.0 that was posted on our group's delicious page.  What struck me about the post was his methods (which of course was his intention) and I decided to try it out.

I decided to try this method with a topic that I have found to be personally interesting: disruptive innovation.  I decided to google the term and look for the people who were key in the discussion.  I clicked on a link that advertised a basic definition and was taken to the official website of Clayton Christensen.  I watched the little video found there and discovered that the man in the clip was familiar.  I had read one of his talks in the ensign.  He is a member and happens to be the first person to coin the term disruptive innovation. He has written several books on the subject and has focused on business, healthcare, and education (education being something that will help with my group's library 2.0 project). 

As I am posting this, I have just begun to search into all the things I can find from this, but so far I have found two things that are helpful to what I'm doing right now.  First of all, the site contains many links to his religious articles 1.  I think that it is awesome that a man that is successful as a businessman and theorist can publish stuff about his beliefs.  I even found the article that I had first read as a missionary.

Second I found a lot of good links to his articles and people that he has collaborated with 2.  This is going to be a big help as I develop questions that I want to ask about the changing world of education.  As of yet I have not contacted any of them, but I am planning on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment